September 05, 2016 to September 13, 2016
I found that we’ve been traveling during the first 2 weeks of September for the last few years! 2013 = South Korea, 2014 = Hawaii, 2015 = Australia and this year 2016 = Singapore and Hong Kong.
When we had finally decided that we were going to plan a family vacaction, we struggled to decide on details and dates. But lucky for us, we just let flights guide us. We flew from Los Angeles to Singapore (with a quick layover in Hong Kong) to Hong Kong and then finally back to Los Angeles for less than $900 (and even less after using the credit card points we’ve saved up)!
Day 0: Leaving Home
We still want to leave from San Diego, but the San Diego (SAN) gives us some rather limited options when it comes to flying out to Asia. So drove 2 hours north to Los Angeles (LAX).
- Pick up rental car
- Lunch at Super Natural
- Drive to Westminster, CA and Dinner at Banh Cuon Tay Ho
- Drive to LAX (drop off rental car)
- Fly to Hong Kong
Day 1: Arriving in Singapore
We arrived in Hong Kong at 6:45 am, and took the 8:00 am transfer flight to Singapore. In a little less than 4 hours and a near empty flight we arrived in Singapore. After settling in our accommodation, we walked around Clarke Quay and then hopped on a river cruise to familiarize ourselves with the city.
- Arriving in Hong Kong
- Transfer flight to Singapore
- Arrive in Singapore
- Check in to our Airbnb studio
- Light Lunch at YaKun Family Mart
- Clarke Quay/River Cruise
- Chinatown – Nanyang Old Coffee
- Chinatown – Buddha Tooth Relic Temple & Museum
- Plaza Singapora
- Dinner at Din Tai Fung
Day 2: Visiting the Main Landmarks of Singapore
On our first full day we checked off our list of touristy things to do, by visiting the various famous landmarks in Singapore, and then making our way to the daily light show presented by the Marina Bay Sands towards the end of the day.
- Breakfast at Suntec City Food Republic
- Esplanade/Merlion/Fullerton Hotel
- Lunch at Lao Pa Sat
- Marina Exchange Mall
- High Tea at Yakun Family Mart
- Dinner at Maxwell Food Center
- Marina Bay Sands Light and Water Show
- Dinner at Song Fa
Day 3: Sentosa
We decided to take a day trip over to the island resort of Sentosa. There we spent our day there using the FUN Pass – 5 attractions and exploring the beaches. Then we made our way back to Singapore island for Mom’s birthday dinner at No Sign Board.
- Breakfast at Yakun Family Mart
- Mt. Faber Cable Car to Sentosa
- Snack at McDonalds
- S.E.A Aquarium
- Lunch at Malaysian Street Food
- Palawan Beach
- Sentosa Cable Car
- Tiger Beer Tower
- Cable Car to Harbour Front
- Shopping – Vivo City
- Dinner at No Sign Board
Day 4: Second attempt at Marina Bay Sands
We returned to the Marina Bay Sands this day to visit their unique Cloud Forest and Flower Dome. Then we had dinner and did some shopping at the malls on Orchard Street.
- Breakfast at The Central Food Court
- Gardens by the Bay – Cloud Forest
- Lunch at McDonalds
- Gardens by the Bay – Flower Dome
- Afternoon Tea at Yakun Family Mart
- Dinner at Wisma Atria Food Republic
- Shopping at Wisma Atria, Ngee Ann/Takashimaya
Day 5: Marina Bay Sands take Three
We ventured a little away from the touristy places to try out the food of the Old Airport Road Food Centre in the moring, then got some mcuh need shopping. We then made our way back to Marina Bay Sands to enjoy the Mid Autumn Festivities and walk on the OCBC Skywalk.
- Breakfast at Old Airport Road Food Centre
- Bugis Street Shopping
- Bugis+/Bugis Junction Shopping
- Dinner at Chinatown
- Gardens by the Bay – Mid Autumn Lantern Festival
- OCBC Skywalk
Day 6: That’s it! Last time at Marina Bay Sands
It was a day of agains! We loved the Old Airport Road Food Centre so much that we returned her again. Then we returned to Marina Bay Sands yet again to get take in the view of the city from the Skypark. And we yet again did some shopping at the Orchard Road Malls.
- Yakun takeaway for breakfast
- More breakfast at Old Airport Road
- Marina Bay Sand Skypark
- Costa Coffee
- Lunch at Somerset Food Republic
- Orchard Road Malls
- Dinner at Newton Food Center
- Supper at Santoka Ramen
Day 7: Singapore History 101
Last full day in Singapore and we learned about the history of the Garden City at the National Museum. Did some last minute shopping and then made our way to the Singapore Night Safari.
- Breakfast at Yakun Family Mart
- National Singapore Museum
- Little India – Mustafa
- Dinner at The Central Food Centre
- Night Safari
Day 8: Traveling to Hong Kong
Ate one last breakfast at our favorite food mart, Ya Kun, then made our way to the Airport and prepare for our travels in Hong Kong.
- Breakfast at Ya Kun
- Refund MRT ezlink cards
- To the Airport
- Airport Shopping
- Lunch at Sakae Sushi
- Flight to Hong Kong